Lubes’n’Greases is the flagship publication of LNG Publishing Co., a Falls Church, VA based business-to-business publishing company. Every month, this award- winning, independent magazine for and about the global lubricants industry delivers hard news, features and informed opinions covering automotive and industrial lubricants, metalworking fluids, greases, base stocks, additives, packaging, biodegradable and synthetic products, companies, people, issues and trends affecting the industry. LNG also publishes a range of print and digital publications for the lubricants industry.
We are looking for a top-flight writer/editor to join an editorial team that produces a monthly magazine viewed as the voice of the lubricant and grease industry. You will be responsible for writing feature and news stories, gathering material from industry authors to be edited or rewritten into columns or features, and contribute substantively to the production of a variety of related publications. You will be a part of a small but accomplished editorial team reporting to our Managing Editor who has 30 years of experience, but started in this same role.
Our ideal candidate must be a curious person with a keen interest in learning a complex, fast-paced industry that is addressing such global issues as environmental responsibility and fuel economy. You should be a business writer/editor with demonstrated skill in building a trusted community of sources as well as the ability to draw information out of people. You must be a published writer who is passionate about grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Additionally you must have the ability to hunt down typos in 50-page publications and the commitment to push a publication out the door on deadline. Additionally, you must be adept at handling reader inquiries and serving a vocal community of subscribers. We are looking for all of this plus someone with ambition and drive, excellent problem-solving skills, a strong work ethic, and a desire to work as part of a committed team.
You will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
- Writing feature and news stories.
- Assigning stories.
- Editing contributed articles and columns.
- Identifying and developing industry experts to contribute to the print and digital publications.
- Oversee the print production process.
- Developing graphics, recommending photos, collaborating with art director on visual presentation of articles.
- Contributing to the production of a variety of related print and digital publications.
- Fielding and responding to reader inquiries and communication including supporting the magazine’s social media accounts.
- College degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field. Engineering and science backgrounds welcome.
- Experience as a senior writer or associate editor for a business or trade association publication.
- Strong proofreading and copy editing skills; knowledge of AP Stylebook a plus.
- Mastery of office software, including Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and Word. Experience with Adobe Acrobat a plus.
- Social media experience a plus.
- Familiarity with online publishing tools a plus, including CMS and web media experience. Photoshop/HTML skills welcome.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Great time management and the ability to juggle multiple projects at once without sacrificing your excellent attention to detail.
- Cool demeanor under pressure while coordinating with coworkers to meet multiple deadlines.
- References who will speak to your ability to:
- work well with others, including examples of your outstanding collaboration/teamwork.
- strong writing, proofreading, copy editing skills.
- communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- manage deadlines, multi-task, and keep your head under pressure.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please write us an exceptionally well-worded email on why we should hire you to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a typo-free resume. Also, we will want to see a portfolio including two or more writing samples if we invite you in to meet with us. Finally, we will be asking you for references during the interview so start compiling those now. We are looking forward to hearing from you.