The ASBPE Foundation aims to set the educational standard for B2B editors in today’s exciting media environment.
For more information on donating to the ASBPE Foundation, please email the Foundation president.
Foundation Mission Statement
The practice of business-to-business journalism is undergoing enormous change, driven in large part by the rapid rise of powerful new media platforms, including blogs, audio and video podcasts, audio and video web presentations, webinars, virtual conferences, and social networking environments. Not only do these platforms require new skills on the part of editors, but they change how editors prepare and present content for their traditional print publications. Given their central role as trained and experienced communicators for their specialized audiences, B2B journalists must strive to stay at the center of the editorial process as content increasingly is developed for these new media platforms. Meanwhile, the country’s journalism schools have been slow to recognize the key role of B2B media as a major entry point for journalists, as well as a permanent career home for many.
Through its nationwide network of professional B2B publication editors, ASBPE is ideally suited to champion educational programs that serve the B2B editing profession, and to raise the profile of the B2B journalism specialty in the media world. No other organization in the United States today focuses exclusively on the professional development of B2B editors. Seeing this need, the board of ASBPE seeks to create through its ASBPE Foundation a platform for channeling contributions from B2B publishers, and others with a stake in the profession’s continuing excellence, into dedicated programs targeted exclusively at the education of B2B editors.
Donate to the ASBPE Foundation
The ASBPE Foundation is able to continue its mission because of your support and generosity. By making a tax-deductible contribution to the foundation, you’ll help ensure that our work continues. Online donations are quick and easy using our secure credit card transactions. We welcome donations of all sizes and payment plans – whether it’s a one-time gift, a monthly contribution or part of a matching gifts program.
Role of B2B Editors
The work of business-to-business editors is vitally important to the evolution of knowledge in the public and private sectors. Every industry is served by an array of magazines, newsletters, newspapers, web publications, videos, and audio programming whose only mission is to facilitate the free exchange of information among professionals.
As the knowledgeable and highly trained specialists who manage and create the content for these publications and electronic communications, business editors are the key to the continued free flow of news, best practices, and technical research within an industry. Indeed, business editors are the indispensable knowledge workers who help shape the environment in which businesses and nonprofit organizations operate. These knowledge workers combine expertise in their subject matter with their skills as writers and editors to tell the stories that professionals in an industry rely on to grow their own expertise.
Without B2B editors, companies and organizations would operate in a vacuum, hampered in their ability to grow due to inconsistent and insufficient flows of information among the professionals in their industry.
- The 2020 Azbee Awards are now open for entriesThe American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) is now accepting entries for our 42nd annual Azbee Awards of Excellence. The Azbee Awards are highly competitive and celebrate the highest ...
- Judith Barr: The Loss Of A True Friend Of ASBPE, And JournalismThe Stephen Barr Award—the prestigious prize administered by the not-for-profit ASBPE Foundation—has lost its godmother. ASBPE’s leadership was shocked by the news that Judith Keller Barr had died suddenly, of a ...
- Youth Wins The Day … And Our B2B Writing AwardThe ASBPE Foundation‘s second annual student-writing-award collaboration with the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) resulted in Canadian journalism student Virginia Sexsmith winning for an article she ...
- The Stephen Barr Award Turns TenBy Roy Harris As a presenter at ASBPE’s annual honors for B2B journalism excellence, the Azbees, I always get emotional presenting their crown jewel: The crystal trophy representing the Stephen Barr ...
Read all ASBPE Foundation posts
Field Editor, Electric Utility Operations
Transmission and Distribution World
Endeavor Business Media, LLC
Overland Park, KS
Immediate Past President
Director B2B Communication,
Medill, Northwestern University
Santa Barbara, CA
Associate Chair and Associate Professor, Journalism
Communication Department, Columbia College Chicago
School of Journalism, University of Kansas
Paul J. Heney
Exhibitor Media Group
Editor, CFO Dive
To create pathways for the continuing mastery of content delivery by B2B editors, the foundation takes a range of educational approaches. Among them:
- Sponsorship of special awards. The Stephen Barr Award, funded by the Foundation, is part of ASBPE’s Azbee Awards of Excellence program, designed to encourage journalism of the highest quality within B2B publications. The Foundation also funds the Journalism That Matters Award, which was awarded to VTDigger in 2018. The award was inspired by ASBPE’s book of the same title, which features case studies of B2B journalists whose articles brought about change within their industries. Editors may nominate themselves or a deserving colleague.
- On-site professional development seminars. Working with B2B publishers, both large and small, the Foundation helps design and host customized on-site training programs for working B2B editors.
- Online educational programs and webinars. For the continuing education and career development of B2B editors, the Foundation taps the expertise of top B2B editors in online professional development programs.
- Encouraging college B2B programs. The Foundation helps sponsor the ASBPE-AEJMC Student B2B Writing Award, begun in 2012.
- Leadership outreach. The Foundation has a program for funding travel by ASBPE leaders to journalism schools each year for B2B editing career presentations.
- Young Leader Scholarship. To help young editors, freelancers, designers and videographers who are just starting their B2B media careers, ASBPE started the annual Young Leaders Scholarship in 2001. The scholarship allows younger professionals who might otherwise be unable to attend ASBPE’s National Conference by covering registration, in-conference meals and hotel room costs.