French and English Publication Manager – Afrobarometer
Afrobarometer, a non-partisan research network, gives voices to ordinary Africans in policy making, and communicating our citizen survey findings is a core network objective. The Afrobarometer Publications Manager will have primary responsibility for ensuring that policy briefs, policy papers and working papers, written in French and English are reviewed and published in a timely way and that they consistently reflect a high standard of quality. The Publications Manager will work remotely, reporting to the deputy director based at Michigan State University, although occasional travel to MSU and/or to various locations in Africa may be required.
Collaborating with other managers, the publication manager will:
- Manage the production process for Afrobarometer publications, including reviewing, editing and formatting documents in French, English, and occasionally Portuguese.
- Mentor authors and collaborate on training/mentoring strategies.
- Develop French and English publication guidelines and templates
- Develop and oversee review procedures
- Coordinate with website content manager
- Coordinate publication translation
- Develop guidelines for recruiting, hiring and compensating reviewers
- Advanced degree in social sciences with strong quantitative skills preferred
- Outstanding editing skills
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as editor and/or publications manager.
- Familiarity with publishing software.
- Ability to communicate, write and edit in French and English.
- Ability to work with publications both general and technical audiences.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, mentor and coach other writers, including people of diverse educational and cultural backgrounds
- Experience working effectively remotely
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Availability for occasional travel in Africa
Candidates should submit an application letter, CV, and writing samples to email@example.com by 10 June 2014.