Job type: Temp-to-Perm / Direct Hire
Location: Calumet City, IL
Salary: Depends on experience
Our client is an independent media company with a concentration on education. They are looking for an energetic, personable and highly skilled editor to support the production of educational materials and support items. This is a wonderful opportunity to work for a company that has their own building in Chicago’s south suburbs. You will work with a very collaborative and supportive group of people with strong work ethics and values.
· Edit an assortment of materials including commentaries, study guides and lesson plans for children and adults, along with content that will be used for DVD’s, books and downloadable materials for the web.
· Use Chicago Manual of style to edit/proof for grammar, spelling, punctuation and layout ensuring no bad breaks, widows, etc. ensuring consistency among headers/footers, footnotes, etc.
· Heavy fact checking using a variety of resources.
· Work closely with graphic designers, contributing writers, fellow editors and other internal contacts.
· Review and follow a strict production schedule.
· Be able to juggle a steady flow of work including crunch times that may require overtime.
· Re-write headlines and captions according to publication requirements.
· Initiate or reply to correspondence regarding material published or being considered for publication.
· Prioritize, track, handle and maintain record of elements, costs and time schedules of multiple projects.
· Candidates must have a solid background in copy editing and proofreading for a variety of materials including mostly print but some online is a plus.
· Must be able to work at a very steady pace with no lulls and able to work overtime as needed.
· Must be detail-oriented and able to juggle multiple projects.
· Knowledge of print production process is helpful.
· Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or Communications.
· Experience using Adobe InCopy is a big plus!
· Comfortable using a Mac.
· Working knowledge of MS Word.
· Familiarity with InDesign is a plus, but not required.
· Recent experience with Chicago Manual of Style, plus the ability to use other style guides as needed.
To apply: Send resume to Orfie Krejberg at email@example.com