Rob Freedman, our national president, has been leading the charge on an exciting and ambitious project that our national board first discussed last November — the development of ASBPE’s first book.
The textbook, which is intended for both editors in the field and for college journalism courses, will focus on the particular challenges (as well as the joys) of working for trade and association magazines.
The publisher is Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co., a major textbook publisher based in Dubuque, Iowa.
Although the book is still in development, chapters are shaping up this way:
- matching content and tone to readers
- editing the work of subject experts
- managing the small editorial operation
- covering the government
- generating and presenting story ideas
- the role of the Web
- trade show coverage
- the editorial-advertising relationship
- building a feature well
- writing columns
- special supplements
- technical articles
- recruiting for the business media
- moving through the ranks
- interacting with readersworking with editorial advisory boards
A large number of ASBPE members and several academicians are helping out with the book, including writing sections of it. Although all the chapters have been assigned to writers, anyone wishing to contribute information may contact Rob Freedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publication is planned for late 2003 or early 2004. Stay tuned for further details.