Hotel News Now, a digital business-to-business publication,seeks an associate copy editor for its Rocky River, Ohio-based hotel industry online news site.
The associate copy editor is responsible for lending support when it comes to driving a consistent style for Hotel News Now and its family of websites and newsletters. This includes but is not limited to: polishing content for readability; fact checking articles; identifying holes in stories; and ensuring active headlines are used. The associate copy editor also will assist certain members of the editorial team as needed.
The associate copy editor will report directly to the managing editor.
- Work with managing editor to edit and fact check raw copy from staff writers, freelancers, columnists and public relations team.
- Ensure content follows Hotel News Now style guidelines.
- Assist managing editor to manage and maintain Hotel News Now’s style book.
- Identify and develop eye-catching, descriptive and accurate headlines and summaries.
- Contribute article ideas and other feedback during editorial meetings.
- Some administrative support: Lend support to the editorial director as needed; ensure supplies are stocked in the office; mail packages.
- Assist with uploading articles or other content to Hotel News Now.
- College degree
- 1-2 years’ experience in journalism, communications or a related field
- At least 1 year copy editing experience
- College degree from a four-year journalism or communications program
- Experience developing and maintaining style books
- Experience producing bylined news articles
- Copy editing experience in B2B
- Copy editing experience for daily news cycle
- Copy editing experience for online publications
Specific job knowledge, skill and ability:
- Knowledge and familiarity with AP Style
- Experience editing articles for grammar, spelling and style
- Experience editing articles to identify holes in reporting, inconsistencies, etc.
- Experience crafting attention-grabbing headlines and summaries
Submit cover letter and resume to Managing Editor Alicia Hoisington at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Write “Associate Copy Editor” in the subject line.