The Executive Director of Strategic Communication for The Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC) will serve as a visionary, senior leader in the church’s messaging and publishing efforts. The successful candidate will help shape the mission message to tell a great story, and guide the communication of the Church’s priorities to both internal and external audiences across all available channels and forms of communications. The Executive Director of Strategic Communication will oversee and manage a professional team, creating and leading a vision for communication that can fulfill and complement the needs of the ministry departments and the denomination as a whole. The position requires a strategic thinker with a high level of communication, marketing, editorial, and media expertise; team leadership experience, and business acumen, along with an interpretive ability to channel the church’s core beliefs and values out to the public (membership and society at large) via various mediums.
The position presents a unique opportunity for an individual of faith to combine many talents to build a pace-setting denominational model of communication. The position oversees 6 areas of the communication department, and the involvement (oversight to direct involvement) varies based on current projects and staff talent:
- Editorial Services (book and periodical publishing)
- Bookstore/Fulfillment Center
- Media Services (including video production)
- Interactive Services (website, etc.)
- Creative Services (graphic and digital design)
- Production Services (including copy services)
The successful candidate will enjoy the support of the entire organization. The position reports directly to the Denominational President, Gary Walter (http://www.covchurch.org/meet-president) and serves on the leadership team of ECC, which meets regularly to discuss both directional and operational matters.
THE QUALIFIED CANDIDATE:
The ECC seeks a visionary and strategic professional with demonstrated success in managing and growing a successful communication program preferably in a complex, matrixed, faith-based environment. An ideal candidate will demonstrate a successful track record in moving communication efforts into a new communications era (electronic, social media, etc.), while maintaining traditional or legacy outreach methods (print) for appropriate markets. The Executive Director of Strategic Communication will maximize the opportunities to communicate the core mission of the Church. A passion for the mission of The Evangelical Covenant Church is essential. Individuals wishing to use their professional gifts and talents to make a difference in the name of Christ are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will have:
- Personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior;
- Commitment to an active Christian faith life; ability to fully support the mission of The Evangelical Covenant Church and agree to become a member of a Covenant Church, if not a current member.
- A Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university in a related field and 8 to 10 years of related experience with proven skills in team leadership, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills and desire to work in a team environment
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven expertise in taking initiative, building and maintaining strong rapport and positive relationships with various constituencies.
- A collaborative, friendly and approachable nature with enthusiasm, drive and motivation to fulfill ECC’s mission.
- Ability to work outside standard work hours and to travel locally and nationally; a current driver’s license is required.
Founded in 1885, The Evangelical Covenant Church is a rapidly growing, multi-generational, multi-ethnic denomination of churches with 800 congregations in the United States and Canada with ministry partnerships in nearly 40 countries on five continents. In the US alone, ECC takes pride in its 27% diversity of membership, far outpacing its sister denominations, with a goal of a Mosaic of membership by 2020 of 35%. The ECC sponsors a number of affiliated ministries including hospitals, retirement communities, and North Park University and Theological Seminary. The Covenant offices are located in Chicago, near O’Hare airport, easily accessible by car and public transportation. For more information regarding ECC, visit www.covchurch.org.
The opening of this opportunity is due to the retirement of a long-term leader. This position is approved at the Annual Meeting in June, 2013 (http://www.covchurch.org/am). There is a great desire to have this position filled and the onboarding process underway in May. Applications will be screened on a rolling basis, but applicants are encouraged to apply by February, 2013.
This search is being managed by Heather A. Eddy, President and COO, Alford Group Executive Search. Interested candidates should submit cover letter and resume online at http://ag-es.kintera.org/applicant. Questions concerning the position may be submitted by email only to Laura Weinman, Senior Consultant, at LWeinman@alford.com. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence. For a complete Opportunity Guide, please visit www.ag-es.com.