Black Enterprise, New York, NY
The personal finance editor will direct coverage of personal finance and investing for BLACK ENTERPRISE. The personal finance editor will plan and execute the monthly Moneywise section of the magazine, as well as planning, assigning, writing and editing feature articles for this area of coverage. This editor will also work closely with the consumer affairs editor on issues of wealth building.
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, the personal finance editor is an integral member of the editorial staff, expected to be a self-starter and to keep up with a wide variety of sources in his or her area of content responsibility; be able to think and act creatively and quickly; and thrive in a collaborative, deadline-driven work environment.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Plan, assign, write and edit the monthly Moneywise section and Financial Fitness Contest profile
- Oversight of content development for Wealth for Life, Financial Fitness Contest, Moneywise, Shopsmart and the annual Home Ownership Contest
- Work closely with members of the BE content development team to develop content for all media platforms, including the magazine, Web, television and live events
- Become established as an expert on the subject of investing and personal finance issues; duties to include moderating panels, speaking at conferences and making radio, television, print and other media appearances
- Update and maintain research and reporting on key editorial franchises related to area of expertise, including BE 100s, Moneywise 100 list of top performing mutual funds; the Black Wealth Initiative, the Financial Fitness Contest, etc.
- Develop and maintain sources, memberships and relationships in personal finance
- Assist in the planning and development of sessions, speakers and other content for BE Events.
- Maintain awareness of major trends in the area of personal finance and investing, specifically as it impacts African Americans
- Provide input on personal finance topics for BLACK ENTERPRISE Business Report television show and other video and, on occasion, serve as on-air commentator for personal finance topics.
- Contribute to content for events involving but not limited to personal finance/finance and serve as moderator/speaker for BE events. On occasion, you will serve as the Wealth for Life speaker for company and sponsored events.
- Top-edit all materials related to personal finance.
- Development and creation of new and existing franchises related to our personal finance coverage
- Attend all editorial, marketing and business meetings related to personal finance content
- Maintain standards and meet deadlines for personal finance content across content channels.
- Minimum of three years full-time work experience as a staff editor; preferably at a business/financial/management publication or media outlet
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required
- Previous experience managing freelance and staff writers strongly preferred
- Must have strong news judgment and commitment to journalistic ethics and standards; superior writing and editing skills
- Ability to set and meet deadlines is required
- Must have experience developing, assigning, editing stories; additional experience developing content for multimedia platforms (including digital) preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively and serve multiple constituencies in a dynamic editorial environment required
- Strong public speaking skills, experience with making media appearances preferred
- Ability to work extended hours as needed, including some evenings and weekends
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com