ASBPE Chicago Chapter
As a follow-up to this post about blog and website style guides, you should also be thinking about how you can update your style guide in a more timely manner.
You may want to consider transferring your print style guide to an electronic one. Here’s how:
- Take blogging software. Platforms like Blogger and WordPress offer easy-to-use software at absolutely no cost.
- Both platforms offer a privacy setting so you grant access only to those staff writers and contributors who write for your publication.
- Begin uploading your style guide. For each section, create a new post, a new post headline, etc., and a label (Numbers, Tone, Audience, Contributor Requirements).
- Consider adding links to commonly used resources (both within the body of the entry and in a link list on the side of the page). For example, if you use an ftp site for uploading images, place a link on the blog that directs users to the ftp site. You can make your style guide as elaborate or as simple as your needs require.
- What also makes this kind of style guide more efficient is the ability to apply an RSS feed to it. Rather than resend a print version to your writers every time you would like to update, include a feed and the new information will populate your user’s readers instantly.