The Mercatus Center at George Mason University seeks a full-time Production Editor to join its growing publications team. This newly created position will be responsible for copyediting and proofreading a wide range of publications, from academic research papers to congressional testimony and research summaries. The Production Editor will also flow copyedited text into layout templates (using InDesign CC), input final corrections, and shepherd manuscripts quickly and efficiently through the production process.
The role is an essential part of the publication process, maintaining the editorial standards of the organization and serving as a sounding board for our core audiences in bridging the gap between the academy and policymakers. The ideal candidate will be fluent with the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition, and adept with the Adobe Creative Suite (particularly InDesign) and Microsoft Word. Proficiency with Excel or other chart-creation software is desirable but not required.
While the position reports to the managing editor, the editor is expected to work closely with in-house scholars and program managers in a self-directed manner.
• Demonstrate strong writing and editing skills,
• Excellent oral and written communication skills,
• Ability to review and provide feedback on the work of freelance editors,
• Strong organizational skills and supreme attention to detail,
• Familiarity with the principles and topic areas in economics, law, and public policy that the Mercatus Center most frequently addresses,
• Ability to be self-directed in meeting deadlines and to track and coordinate multiple projects,
• Knowledge of and experience with Chicago Manual of Style,
• Ability to focus for long stretches of time on copyediting or proofreading—and to manage distractions,
• Ability to learn and use new computer applications for layout and project management,
• Commitment to the mission of Mercatus.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of writing and editing experience
Finalists will be asked to complete an editing assessment at home and several timed copyediting tests during the interview process.
Help Us Grow
Please submit your cover letter and resume, as well as three references, through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center’s mission.
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit, and free credits at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For over 25 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
To apply, contact:
Human Resources or fill out the link below.