The Poynter Institute for Media Studies, a global leader in journalism education, and a strategy center that stands for uncompromising excellence in journalism, media and 21st century public discourse, is hiring a Teaching & Event Services Coordinator to join their team in St. Petersburg, Florida. This coordinator will have an opportunity to work with ASBPE members and support key initiatives such as the upcoming Azbees Contest and 2017 ASBPE Conference.
TITLE: Teaching & Event Services Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Admin & Business Operations
FSLA STATUS: Full-Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Teaching & Event Services Director
OVERALL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The Teaching & Event Services Coordinator will assist with day-to-day management of training partnerships and help lead the launch of and maintain a membership program at The Poynter Institute for Media Studies, Inc. The coordinator will work collaboratively with Poynter’s partners and prospective members to build relationships and manage the execution of deliverables with Poynter staff and faculty.
This employee is expected to handle multiple tasks concurrently on a daily basis. The position requires a keen attention to detail and organization, and the demonstrated ability to remain calm under pressure. The coordinator works on multiple projects concurrently, while also being able to prioritize and make decisions to remain responsive to stakeholders.
- Supports training partnership client relationships including the execution of training deliverables and resolving customer service issues.
- Supports member databases and client relation management systems.
- Compiles monthly, quarterly, annual and special reports and other user data for Poynter’s training partners.
- Provides customer service by telephone, email and in-person.
- Coordinates correspondence, handles and directs inquiries in all phases of planning and execution of programs.
- Provides administrative, organizational and clerical support, including detail work for all programs (types, copies, collates, files, formats documents, staples materials, etc.) as required by Teaching & Event Services Director.
- Maintains partnership and membership records. These program files also include schedules, evaluations, etc.
- Manages and assigns program pre-work, when needed.
- Coordinates and supports logistics (hotel room reservations, travel, meals, shuttle-scheduling, audio-visual requests, homework) and other program materials.
- Prepares program syllabus.
- Works with the accounting department to manage invoices and expenses for programs.
- Handles outside groups and special events. This includes giving tours to potential customers, executing rental agreements and negotiations, collecting payment, advanced event coordination and day of coordination.
- Prepares and distributes name badges and other handouts, set up room(s) prior to opening session, and does room cleanup and program follow-up afterwards.
- Helps support overall programs needs with other Teaching & Event Services Coordinators, as needed.
- Provides front desk support, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: The Teaching & Event Services Coordinator reports to the Teaching & Event Services Director. He/she is responsible for conducting daily and long-term assignments under general direction. The Teaching & Event Services Director is responsible for monitoring employee’s progress and performance and will conduct the annual performance review. The Teaching & Event Services Coordinator must be able to work independently and collaborate with others.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
Establishing and cultivating relationships internally and externally is key to success in this position.
Internal: Interacts with Director of Business & Finance, as needed, for collaboration on partnership projects; interacts with Teaching & Event Services Director and team related to Poynter partnerships and seminars; interacts with Poynter faculty and staff, as needed.
External: Maintains cooperative relationships with training partnership clients, members and prospective members.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS: Position requires advanced administrative and intermediate computer skills. Advanced knowledge of Excel is required. Knowledge of and experience with client management technologies and database management. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required; professional writing or copy editing experiences is a plus. Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines and think critically and creatively a must. Willingness to learn and try new things. Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, theory and principles of media and the media industry. College degree preferred.
PROBLEM SOLVING/DECISION MAKING: Highly organized to effectively coordinate and complete multiple projects. Duties require decisions that may necessitate devising new methods or modifying or adapting standard principles of practices to new or changed conditions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Position requires sitting for extended periods, while at the computer and answering and placing calls. Requires moving throughout the building and occasionally to outside businesses. Requires ability to work duplicating machine and other office equipment. Person in this position must be able to manipulate fingers to operate computer keyboard and mouse. Other physical requirements include ability to: communicate with other individuals (written and verbal) both inside and outside the organization; proofread for accuracy; carry paperwork and file paperwork in lateral cabinets. Additionally, sitting, squatting or bending at the waist is required. Position requires ability to frequently lift, carry, push, or pull up to 30 lbs. The Teaching & Event Services Coordinator will be expected to work under and meet precise deadlines. Routine interruptions and unforeseen assignments are to be expected.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Duties are performed in a temperature controlled, non-smoking office environment. The workstation is unobstructed and employee can expect moderate noise levels from general office activity. On occasion, employee may be required to travel on behalf of the Institute.
OTHER INFORMATION: The Teaching & Event Services Coordinator will generally work a five-day schedule, defined as Monday through and including Friday with occasional weekend work, as needed. This position will generally work on-site between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., during the Institute’s normal business hours. The workdays will vary from time to time depending on the workload. The employee is eligible for one-hour (unpaid) for lunch and two 15-minute (paid) breaks each day. This position may require some overtime.
No phone calls, please.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Link to apply: http://www.careers.poynter.org/job/20302417/q-Instructional%20Coordinator-l-Saint%20Petersburg%2C%20FL%20(33701)
Position is in St. Petersburg, FL.
Hourly Range: $13.85-$15.30 per hour, based on 37.50-hour workweek
Deadline to apply: September 23, 2016