Money-Media, a business division of the Financial Times, is looking for a managing editor to lead a fast-growing publication for the financial advisor market in New York, NY. Financial Advisor IQ is a two-year-old daily publication that provides financial advisors with the news and intelligence they need to grow their businesses, with a focus on their relationship with clients. The publication has established a foothold in the market in a relatively short time and we are looking for someone to build on that and take it to the next level.
The managing editor is the editorial driver of Financial Advisor IQ, overseeing all content development, including original news articles, trend reports, surveys and potentially video and webcasts. The managing editor is responsible for pushing through product improvements based on planned upgrades and ongoing market feedback. We expect the managing editor to be engaged with the business side of the publication and an enthusiastic source of ideas and suggestions for growing the title’s reach and profitability.
This is a terrific opportunity to lead a new publication and make your mark in the industry. Money-Media, with the backing of the Financial Times, has ambitious goals for this product and this market. You will have the benefits of working on a start-up publication within a stable and successful company that has proven it knows how to create profitable publications within financial services. Financial Advisor IQ has a close relationship with the FT’s annual rankings of financial advisors, and as such, has unique access to high-end advisors.
Strong preference will be given to candidates with a financial industry editorial background, particularly those who have a good understanding of the financial advisor market and have pre-existing relationships in that space.
The managing editor will oversee an editorial staff of three people, plus freelancers, and will report into Money-Media’s Group Managing Editor.
- Hire and manage staff
- Oversee all editorial development and processes for story generation, edit stories, write stories
- Maintain the overall quality and timeliness of the content and meet the product’s editorial milestones for success
- Establish and maintain close relationships with financial advisors and their firms
- Travel to industry events and meet with prospects to stay on top of the latest industry trends and to solicit ongoing market feedback about the product
- Coordinate editorial with advertising and marketing activities, including our sponsored content business.
- Work with other departments to incorporate video, graphics, webcasts into our editorial coverage
- On occasion, moderate webcasts or panels at events run by Money-Media or the Financial Times’ events group. Share knowledge and expertise where necessary with events group. Represent Financial Advisor IQ’s editorial team internally and externally
- The ideal candidate will have a strong desire to succeed and a proven track record of producing high-quality content.
- We seek a person with strong intelligence, high energy, creativity, persistence, and resilience.
- The successful candidate will also demonstrate the flexibility and ownership necessary to manage a start-up product.
- Understanding the characteristics and values of our markets are very important. An ability to listen to the marketplace is critical.
- You will need to hire and motivate a team of reporters and keep them focused on the goals of the publication.
- At least seven years of business reporting and editing experience, including experience working on a daily or wire publication.
- Experience managing a staff of reporters and helping them improve and develop.
- Demonstrated ability to write or produce content for a specific niche audience. Experience working a beat and knowing how to generate scoops, enterprise story ideas and other content that distinguishes a publication.
- Track record of continuous improvement and initiative and a creative approach to your work.
- Ability to recognize and respond to readers’ needs.
- Knowledge of the financial advisor market specifically or financial services generally a definite plus.
- A high personal standard of excellence and pride in the work you do.
- Curiosity and a desire to learn.
Please email your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’d be a good fit for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Managing Editor, Financial Advisor IQ in the subject line.
Money-Media is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and benefits as part of Pearson, parent company of the Financial Times. We also offer a supportive and collegial working environment and the opportunity to work with others who are passionate about their jobs. Visit our website www.money-media.com for more information.