You are an experienced, highly motivated editor with the ability to edit long-form journalism as well as short blog posts. You love the narrative feature but are equally at home with short news stories. You have a wide-ranging intellect, a passion for tracking current events, and the ability to distinguish legal, social, and political threads in the news.
If this description resonates with you, come join our San Francisco-based team at California Lawyer. We are seeking a full-time senior editor to handle everything from assigning features to editing blog posts for our audience of 150,000 lawyers.
The ideal candidate for this full-time position must have:
- Minimum of seven years of editing experience (assigning, editing, writing) for a magazine or website that demonstrates increasing editorial responsibility.
- Ability to generate, pitch, and assign feature story ideas
- Track record of finding unique stories that surprise and intrigue
- Strong freelance contacts
- Sense of humor and ability to work effectively within a team
Additional skills (not required):
- Flair for data visualization
- Interest in reporting/writing your own stories
Send an email to email@example.com with the following:
- Subject line: Senior Editor
- Cover letter and resume
- List three feature story ideas and your approach
- Links to five articles you’ve worked on, include long-form journalism as well as one or two shorter articles (i.e. blog posts, news articles)
Published by the Daily Journal Corp., California Lawyer is an award-wining monthly magazine that covers the most dynamic legal market in the country. We provide our readers with timely legal analysis, in-depth features, technology updates, and practical advice on substantive law. California Lawyer has won more than 70 Maggie Awards from the Western Publications Association for editorial and design excellence as well as national honors from the American Society of Business Publication Editors, Folio, and the Society of Publication Designers.
To view the website:
To see magazine content: