Associate Editor – The American Ceramic Society
About the Job
For full-time employment, The American Ceramic Society is seeking an Associate Editor to acquire, initiate, write, edit, and/or copyedit content to be used in ACerS electronic and print communications including ACerS’s website, Ceramic Tech Today blog, web-based outlets, the ACerS Bulletin magazine, and special print, video, and electronic initiatives. The associate editor identifies and recommends new outreach channels for promoting engineered ceramic and glass materials and the people and businesses who work on them. The incumbent will manage web-based channels such as LinkedIn, Twitter, Slideshare, etc., for content-based outreach. The associate editor aids with preparing media materials, composing articles, working with volunteer authors, confirming artwork, fact checking, and maintaining editorial policies and standards.
This position reports to the Communications Director/Editor and is located in ACerS’ Westerville, Ohio headquarters office (a suburb of Columbus). ACerS offers a complete benefit package including medical and dental insurance, life and accident insurance, short/long term disability, paid time-off, and a deferred savings plan.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Strong writing, reporting, editing, and proofreading skills. Knowledge of print production and online publishing processes. Detail oriented and able to manage and meet deadlines. Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability and initiative in discovering and uncovering relevant news and stories from industry, academia, and government.
- Demonstrated experience working with web-based communications channels such as LinkedIn and strong understanding of content delivery on mobile platforms.
- Experience with content-based outreach.
- Five years editorial experience preferred with a professional association, trade, or B2B publisher. Working knowledge of AP or Chicago style.
- College degree in materials science, engineering, science writing, or communications.
- Demonstrated ability to write about science, engineering, technology, or math.
- Computer skills: Macintosh platform, Microsoft Office, Acrobat suite (Indesign, Acrobat and Photoshop)
- Experience with online publishing systems such as Word Press, Stream Send, Constant Contact, etc.
- Experience with digital photography and videography. Ability to edit images and videos preferred.
- Ability to travel to ACerS conferences and industry workshops.
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume, at least two writing samples, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the American Ceramic Society
The American Ceramic Society is a professional organization serving the informational, educational, and professional needs of the international ceramics community. The Society membership includes more than 11,000 scientists, engineers, researchers, manufacturers, plant personnel, educators and students, marketing and sales professionals from more than 60 countries. ACerS provides members and subscribers access to periodicals and books, meetings and expositions, and online technical information. In addition, ACerS’ journals are the most cited ceramic publications in the world. Founded in 1898, the Society provides education and forums to connect individuals working in ceramics-related materials in order to better advance the ceramics community. ACerS is an EEO M/F/D/V Employer.