Penton Media’s EHS Today magazine seeks an editor at either the associate or senior level. Candidates should have a minimum of 3-5 years of professional writing experience, preferably in news writing. Candidates must have strong writing and editing skills, must be able to meet tight deadlines, and should be comfortable with social media and writing for the web. Ideal candidates are detail-oriented, flexible, creative and can work independently, adapt to change and develop effective relationships with other team members.
The position requires some travel (4-5 times a year) and the ability to maintain a flexible work schedule, especially when approaching production deadlines.
- Write feature articles, departments and columns for the print magazine.
- Write and post daily news items and regular blog posts for the Web site.
- Solicit and edit contributed feature articles, news items and blog posts.
- Assist in managing the magazine production process, including proofreading and working with the editor in chief and art director on the issue’s appearance and design.
- Report from, and participate in, industry conferences and trade shows.
- Cover the occupational safety and health beat and cultivate industry contacts and sources.
- Manage the magazine’s social media platform, including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Review applications for annual awards programs.
- Manage website comments and work to build audience engagement and discussion.
- Cross-promote content to related articles, site sections and social media.
- Assist in creating event and award program agendas.
- Work closely with the editorial, marketing and e-media teams to guide the magazine’s brand and focus.
- B.A. (English or Journalism preferred.)
- 3-5 years of professional experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
- Proficiency with Photoshop and InDesign strongly preferred.
- An understanding of web usability, writing for the web and SEO strongly preferred.
- Experience posting content and working with content management systems strongly preferred.
- The ability to work quickly at a high level and consistently meet tight deadlines.
- Experience with social media, including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Interest in or knowledge of occupational heath and safety, workplace wellness, safety legislation, workers’ rights or related issues a plus.
For more information, contact Sandy Smith, Editor in Chief, EHS Today, firstname.lastname@example.org.