For full-time employment, The American Ceramic Society is seeking an Associate Editor to acquire, initiate, write, edit, and/or copyedit content for ACerS communications including the ACerS Bulletin (the leading technical magazine serving the world-wide advanced ceramics marketplace), Ceramic Tech Today blog, and special print, electronic, and video initiatives. The associate editor manages the acquisition and editing of the magazine’s departments, including the Society’s Spotlight and People sections. The associate editor aids with preparing media materials, composing articles, confirming artwork, fact checking, and maintaining editorial policies and standards.
This position reports to the Communications Director/Editor and is located in ACerS’ Westerville, Ohio headquarters office (a suburb of Columbus). ACerS offers a complete benefit package including medical and dental insurance, life and accident insurance, short/long term disability, paid time-off, and a deferred savings plan.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Strong writing, reporting, editing, and proofreading skills; knowledge of print production and publishing processes; detail oriented and able to manage and meet deadlines; good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability and initiative in discovering and uncovering news and stories relevant to ceramic engineers working in industry, government, and academia.
- Five years editorial experience preferred with a professional association, trade, or business magazine; working knowledge of AP or Chicago style.
- Demonstrated ability to write about science, engineering, technology, or math.
- Computer skills: Macintosh platform, Microsoft Office, Acrobat suite (Indesign, Acrobat and Photoshop).
- Experience with online publishing systems such as Word Press, Stream Send, Constant Contact, etc.
- Experience with digital photography and videography; ability to edit images and videos preferred.
- Ability to travel to ACerS conferences and industry workshops is required.
- College degree in materials science, engineering or science writing.
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume, at least two writing samples, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Ceramic Society
Human Resources Department
600 N. Cleveland Avenue, Suite 210
Westerville, OH 43082
ABOUT THE AMERICAN CERAMIC SOCIETY
The American Ceramic Society is a professional organization serving the informational, educational, and professional needs of the international ceramics community. The Society membership includes more than 11,000 scientists, engineers, researchers, manufacturers, plant personnel, educators and students, marketing and sales professionals from more than 60 countries. ACerS provides members and subscribers access to periodicals and books, meetings and expositions, and online technical information. In addition, ACerS’ journals are the most cited ceramic publications in the world. Founded in 1898, the Society provides education and forums to connect individuals working in ceramics-related materials in order to better advance the ceramics community. ACerS is an EEO M/F/D/V Employer.